4.23.2012

a labor of love...

in more ways than one. here it is. the big reveal of my little libby's birth announcement. 
it all started with some photos. my husband and i were clicking through the pictures that i took for libby's announcement. as every proud parent would, we were having a hard time choosing just one. my husband said "why can't we have all of them". a light went on in my head. let's do a flip book. 
i shot a new sequence of photos, just for the book. libby wore a vintage dress, mine from when i was her size. smocked in pink, it was the perfect start. for the cover, i wanted to have soft pink and mustard yellow. incidentally, it is the same shade of yellow that libby makes daily in her tiny little diaper. believe me, it was not the inspiration for the color combination, purely coincidence... honestly. but regardless, i love the color combination. i hand lettered the cover, writing libby's name in script-y letters and complimenting it with modern type. 
i tied the spine of each book with mustard waxed linen cord. i added a knot of flax linen tape and seam binding in pink and taupe.


each book was put into a glassine envelope and sealed with a hand cut label that read "flip me".


the glassine envelopes were then inserted into a top flap envelope which was folded over and sewn shut with soft pink thread. 


and... see it in action.


12 comments:

  1. Beautiful! The colors are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome! I wish I knew you so that I could get one of these delightful announcements in the mail! (You have the best name, btw)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Brenna! That is the most creative and original baby announcement I've ever seen. It's absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing. I love the simplicity of the design, the idea, the style ... wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. also, can i ask where you got the pictures printed? the books all look so sharp - did you cut the pages out yourself, or were they already made to size?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rachel,
      thank you! to answer your question, i work with a great printer. he laser printed the photos on heavy cardstock... i wanted a matte finish. then he collated them, glued and cut each little book on a hydaulic guillotine. this gave each book super clean edges... which is important for it to flip properly.
      best,
      brenna

      Delete
    2. thanks for the info! you and your printer did a fantastic job.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous22.9.12

    Brenna,

    I just stumbled across your amazing announcements on Pinterest - these are truly STELLAR!! My husband and I would love to do something like this for our son's birth announcement. Would you mind emailing me with some info? I'd love to get your printer's contact info and perhaps some pricing information?

    Thank you so much in advance!

    Best,
    Kristen Ferguson (kristenalcey@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brenna,
    I just saw your amazing announcements on Pinterest - these are truly AMAZING!! My husband and I would love to do something like this for our daughters birth announcement. Would you mind emailing me with some info? I'd love to get your printer's contact info and perhaps some pricing information?Thank you in advance!

    Kindest regards,
    Lupe Rodriguez
    (pitavonz@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lupe, i'll reply to you in a seperate email. thanks!! brenna

      Delete
  8. Hello Brenna,

    I saw your amazing birth announcement on pinterest and i REALLY LOVED IT! It was all so perfect, i loved the colors!
    On september 9th i had twins :) My husband and I would just love doing such an amazing birth announcement for our twins!
    Would you mind emailing me some informations, maybe your printer's contact info and some pricing information?
    Thanks in advance answering me back,
    Best regards,

    Liza Périchon (from Paris ^^)
    liza.perichon@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you please share your printers info with me as well...thank you so much for sharing the beautiful ideas!!!

    Rebekah
    rkasule@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete